SBM 3.13% 23.3¢ st barbara limited

why down 3.8% today( $4.27) ???, page-48

1. 2,103 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 184
    In short - yes. However, the situation is more complicated than that. The chart of recent SBM SP activity (below) shows a resistance line at about $5 that was formed in late June early July, which was broken through on 6 July on news of a positive production update, but momentum couldn't be sustained and SP dropped a few days later. This peak had nothing to do with the price of gold (see the second chart).

The SBM SP peak of $4.99 on 4 January coincided with (and was probably caused by) a recent strong increase in the price of gold, coinciding with a drop in the value of the Australian dollar (there was a flash crash on the Yen (apparently) which also affected AUD which then took a few days to recover, creating a false low). The SBM peak on 4Jan19 fell over the following Monday because the price of gold dropped almost $20 that Friday night (it came close to the US$1300 resistance line, but failed to get through) and has yet to fully recover, while the AUD has recovered.

SBM share price

SBM2.png

Price of spot gold

POG.png

However, your point about $5 being a psychological barrier is a valid one. Here's a screenshot of the CommSec quote screen at close on 4Feb19 showing the enormous number of sellers sitting at $5.00. There is a definite phenomenon of 'round numbers' - people like them! So I expect that when the SBM share price gets up towards $5 again, there'll definitely be a barrier to get through. I don't think it will happen unless the price of gold breaks US$1300, or else SBM announces some blindingly good news

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 4.26.25 pm.png

Now, I'd be pleased if someone could explain why SBM has gone up 2.5% today as the price of gold is going sideways, as is AUD.
    Last edited by graywolf: 15/01/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SBM (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
23.3¢
Change
-0.008(3.13%)
Mkt cap ! $188.1M
Open High Low Value Volume
24.0¢ 24.0¢ 23.0¢ $425.0K 1.809M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
25 892857 23.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
23.5¢ 56502 10
View Market Depth
Last trade - 12.54pm 15/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SBM (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.