Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think, page-14

1. 35,331 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4

Jack.

That could happen.

I expect there will be a point where the value of very good second hand ice vehicle will fall to zero. Once evs and ice car purchase prices become equal, or even close to equal, you will be able to buy a really good ice vehicle for almost nothing.

The only difference will be in specific models. E.g. A diesel landcruiser will hold it's value a bit because of it's practicality. An ice commuter car that never leaves the city will be scrap value only.

Quite simply, if the cars are the same price new, and one costs way less to run, everyone is going to go electric. Not necessarily because of environmental reasons. Just purely because of cost of ownership.
    Despite Australia's backward policy, I don't think it will matter that much. The big drivers ( pardon the pun ) of this will be the big economies of the US, the EU and China. The uptake and efficiency of evs will increase rapidly and manufacturers will stop making ice vehicles pretty quickly. There might be a bit of dumping here but I reckon it will sort itself pretty quickly.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.