why get on a boat and not a plane???

1. 23,438 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1467
    Ok, firstly can we please leave petty political arguments out of this thread, there are plenty of other threads for that.

We are told the majority of illegal immigrants come to this country via plane and not boat. I'm not about to try and dispute that fact. My question is, why do people spend many times more than the cost of an airfare to board a boat that may well sink before arriving? Is it not possible to land in australia on a plane and then claim asylum?

Now, my cynical thought is that the people coming via boat don't believe they are genuine refugees, therefore they arrive on a boat with no documentation which then makes it extremely difficult for australia to send them elsewhere. Whereas if they arrived by plane they would need proper documentation which would allow australia to potentially send them back.

I'm not after a bunch of right wingers saying my cynical thoughts are correct, i'm looking for answers from people who may have a logical explanation as to why this occurs. So please, just logical arguments. Thanks

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.