why i dislike whining baby boomers, page-138

1. 3,947 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 328
    Mr All Fuelled Up

You have provided me with what they in parliament call a "Kylie", ie a "you wish" post. An audience too perhaps.
    Let's look at a few points. In order.
    1) Baby boomers All walked into Uni free. Heard this tripe a lot.
    Fact: I was born in 1948. When I went to a government primary school in Sydney, I have the photos, there were 50 kids in my class, pretty normal. We were thrashed with the cane frequently for minor infractions. Used to come home sometimes with blood running from my fingernails from the cane. My old mate T who died just recently, went to a Catholic school at McMahons Point, Sydney. There were 98 boys in his class all the way through school,three priest/teachers, full stop. He got into uni and became an accountant. We were lucky. My Dad, a civil engineer, went to school in the depression, at North Sydney Technical high, an elite selective school. He was one of only three boys in his year whose family could even afford a jacket, and twenty percent of them did not even have shoes, he told me.
    There were free fees if you could make the grade to Uni places in the sixties, but University places for ONE IN TWENTY leavers. It was not easy like now, with almost 50% getting places in a "dumbed down" excuse for a university for the most part. I sat for the Leaving Certificate at the ripe old age of 16. I had to compete with 100,000 remaining final year students in NSW sitting for that exam for just 5,000 starting places. Managed to top NSW in one favourite subject. First in 100,000 isnt too bad for a 16 year old competing with adults,too.
    I started in economics and finance. The course was so tough, the faculty head, Prof Drane, a superb economist then and now, informed us in the first lecture at Macquarie University that he was going to fail 50% of us. The bar was going to be set high and if you couldnt jump the bar, clear out. You are not wanted. Work or go. After trying as hard as we did to just get there. The course we did was later cut right down 70 or 80% to the bare bones and called an MBA as a postgrad. thing for graduates in other fields. We did it before we were 20. The first anywhere. They did fail 50%. A lot of faces were not seen again next year. It was quality before entitlement. You people talking like this make me puke. You have a thorough sense of entitlement. You know what you are entitled to? A kick up the rear end. You wouldnt know tough.
    In my time you would have got it very swiftly and repeatedly, in the form of marching orders.

2) Walked out of Uni and got any job you wanted...
    You have to be kidding. We were the biggest generation in many decades and there was never enough of anything. There was one good job between three, it was very competitive. Many were reserved for returned soldiers and rightly so for a while. The depression generations were smaller and we could not get into jobs they had got into for a lot of years. Very into seniority. The depression and the war had just about used up all resources and savings. We grew up in tiny houses, mostly because there were so few building materials after the war the maximum size was restricted to 12 squares or 1,200 sq ft. or 112 m2 in current usage. There are always larger generations after major wars. it is a biological fact in all societies.

I think that gives enough of the lie to your immature drivel-you dont know youre alive pal. The bubble wrap generation. Youve never had to struggle for much I'll bet.
    A few more points. We paid off the public debts of the older generation, then we supported them and still do in their old age which they could make little provision for. Ninety percent are dependent on government benefits (us) for their principal source of income even now. On top of that, we had to save for our own retirement after paying off the public debt and supporting them, so the much smaller generations following would not be crippled by the burden. Triple whammy.
    Now those invested savings are being rapidly destroyed by speculators both native and foreign, and governmental incompetence so we look like having a somewhat miserable old age after bringing up the most indulged and spoilt generation of amoral brats in human history, who can now walk into a labour market we could not have imagined in our wildest dreams. We had to endure years of interest rates approaching 20% through financial and monetary mismanagement originating, as usual, in the USA, while trying to rear the bubble wrapped bubbas who should have been chucked in at the deep end for their own good just like we had to be.

Dont think Im just some old geezer who is making it up. I was a Principal analyst in the Australian Bureau of Statistics for quite a few years, and produced the research for the government that resulted in the national superannuation system, from scratch. Adviser to a range of departments and policy bodies. Dont ever think it was Big Wind Keating. He just ran with a ball thrown to him.

Thank you for producing such a brown smelly lump of drivel. It has been fun to ejyakate ya. Your mob often dont seem to be able to spell too well either.

Recently I was the guest client of the ANU Faculty of Engineering for the year. Systems engineering. I did a series of lectures and was offered an adjunct professorship in the Graduate School of Engineering. All to do with forest technology and the leading edge of robotics. There were some students I assessed who reminded me of you. They wasted time, put in stupid assignments. The ones I noticed working the hardest? Foreign full fee paying students. Chinese. If some of the sillier local students had gone to a major Australian university in the late sixties they would have been shown the door. Pronto. No dramas. Just Bye..in the mail. They still should. Id allow free uni all right, but Id fund it by kicking out two thirds of the also rans. The trades need you. They will soon grow you up.

Dry your eyes, little bubba. Youll need to. Your hard times are just beginning. Wait & see. You're loaded up with something all right. It comes out of the rear end of a male cow.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.