QBE 0.68% $17.06 qbe insurance group limited

"Why I dumped my QBE Insurance Ltd shares"

1. 24,765 Posts.
    "The company has terrible returns on equity

For the half year to 30 June 2016 QBE returned just 2.5% on shareholder equity. This is only one quarter the average return for U.S. listed companies to January 2016.

This isn’t just a beat-up on the company’s short term performance; the last five years have all been terrible. The company’s own metric of ‘Return on average shareholders’ funds‘ for the last five years has not surpassed 7%. Insurance Australia Group Ltd (ASX: IAG) by comparison returned 10.3% on shareholder equity for the full year to 30 June 2016.

QBE has little discernible competitive advantage in a highly competitive industry

QBE makes money two ways: taking in insurance premiums and investing shareholder funds to produce returns. But from the company’s poor historical performance it appears to have little competitive advantage in either pursuit.

In its 2015 Annual Report, QBE was at pains to point out that not only does it operate in a mature, low-growth industry, but that price competition to sneer rival customers is biting into returns.

One ray of hope is the company’s huge global footprint which can help to distribute insurance risk. However even this has just served to bloat the company in years-gone-by, and gaining any valuable level of efficiency has been painfully slow.

Underlying business just not that good

There are some companies which, although they look ugly, have a hard-driving economic engine at their heart. To me QBE Insurance is not one of these companies. Yes, it take in billions and billions of dollars of written premiums, but compared to IAG, QBE’s weak insurance margins don’t signal a finely tuned machine."

Full read at http://www.********.au/2016/09/13/why-i-dumped-my-qbe-insurance-ltd-shares/
    Last edited by siameseparrot: 30/09/16

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QBE (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$17.06
Change
0.115(0.68%)
Mkt cap ! $25.60B
Open High Low Value Volume
$16.99 $17.12 $16.90 $15.53M 912.6K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
9 987 $17.05

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$17.06 4231 10
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.51pm 05/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
QBE (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.