Why I voted NO, page-4

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    You are a bit late with your questions given all the issues you raise would be prevalent now under existing law. Really the only change I can see is that the issue of a marriage certificate provides greater certainty that a relationship exists and that can provide more certain protections under family Law and also protects partner and children’s rights in respect to disbursement of Estates etc. As I say same sex couples are already recognised under Family Law but not having access to a marriage certificate can make it more difficult to establish that a relationship actually existed and accordingly the rights of all those involved. People like Tony Abbott’s sister can register her commitment to her partner and children from both parties can have protections under the law.

Denial of a marriage certificate is imo ludicrous. If Australia were to vote NO we would have a situation where all those who say are dual citizens with countries that have legalised same sex marriage such as the UK, Canada , NZ and USA can get married through the embassies of those countries. Tony Abbott’s sister and her partner have stated that they would do that should the NO vote prevail. I don’t believe the NO vote will prevail and I voted YES for equality and to protect the rights of individual same sex couples and their children by registration of their relationship through a marriage certificate. Equality and certainty is a choice that imo ought not be denied them.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.