IMU 4.82% 7.9¢ imugene limited

"I had a beer with an investor yesterday and mentioned I...

1. 862 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 73
    "I had a beer with an investor yesterday and mentioned I couldn’t see why a hedge fund wasn’t stepping up to the plate to take Imugene on, given how good Vaxinia was looking. He said maybe there was something we didn’t know. And that seems to sum up investor sentiment, unfortunately".

My view is share investing is about finding opportunities. Inevitably every opportunity has blind spots where you have to make assumptions about the future. Soro's reflexology thing recognises investors more often than not get their assumptions wrong.

I am a bit of a pessimist by nature but I think IMU is an exceptional opportunity. But its real value wont be known for several years, maybe 5 or 6 years before revenue really starts to flow. We are making assuptions of this revenue in trying to determine an estimate of its value.

I see a number of factors that could impact these assumptions.

1. Prevalence and severity of cancer. Cancer is largely preventable, some one posted I am a moron for saying this in an earlier post but those with genetic predisposition to cancer are a minority. Smoking was a leading cause of cancer and it has declined with public awareness and campaigns. The right diet and physical activity/exercise are recognised as being preventatives. I think most people in western countries are aware they need to manage there lifestyle to prevent cancer and other diseases. Obesity is cited as a factor in cancer, the new weight loss drugs, Ozempic etc..., are going to reduce levels of obesity. Against this populations are aging so that will be countering positive developments. As Doctors with developing technology become better generally at diagnosing cancer they should be finding cancers earlier. Less severe cancers require less invasive treatments. A vaccine to prevent cancer? Not sure how far in the future this is likely to be.

So from this, my personal opinion is the market for cancer treatment in western countries while large might not grow significantly over the next 10 years.

2. Competition. IMUs drugs are in a competitive market place that is far from static. Chemo and radiotherapy are evolving to increase effectiveness and reduce side effects. Other companies are developing immunology drugs. What about AOH1996. What are the Chinese up to? Apparently they have a serious cancer problem. They tend not to respect others intellectual property and I am sure their authorities are a lot more expediant than the FDA. What about CF17. Arent they developing cancer vaccines using the tech from covid vaccines. I read they are using AI to develop and select drug candidates.

In my opinion the market for cancer treatment even for the solid tumors that are currently unmet is going to explode with choices.

3. The economic environment. Ultimately tax payers pay for a lot of the cancer treatments in western countries. Typically most countries have serious debts and spent more than they make. This will mean countries will campaign to reduce disease and its cost burden and health budgets will continually tighten. If there are competing treatment choices cost will be a major determinant.

Ultimately I don't know what will happen. I will make decisions as things develop. IMU is undervalued in my opinion but so to are other companies on the ASX.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add IMU (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
7.9¢
Change
-0.004(4.82%)
Mkt cap ! $578.2M
Open High Low Value Volume
8.2¢ 8.3¢ 7.7¢ $1.357M 17.06M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
7 735848 7.9¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
8.0¢ 328052 7
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 26/04/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
8.0¢
  Change
-0.004 ( 4.33 %)
Open High Low Volume
8.2¢ 8.2¢ 7.8¢ 7785002
Last updated 15.59pm 26/04/2024 ?
IMU (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.