Aussies did not need Bodyline to deal with the poms we took you...

1. 10,457 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 672
    Aussies did not need Bodyline to deal with the poms we took you on with a bowler with a broken back and new bowler having played only 1 test you thought little of who turned up hung over to play...>

Rewind: When Jeff Thomson and Dennis Lillee blew England away | ESPNcricinfo

Shell-shocked and bloodied

England arrived in Australia full of hope... and left routed, battered and bewildered...

"When I batted at Perth I didn't even wear a cap," said Lloyd. "All I had was an apology for a thigh pad." It was in that Test that Thomson struck Lloyd so hard in the groin that his protective box was turned inside out. "You didn't feel fear," he added, "but you did feel a hopelessness at times, a feeling that you couldn't cope."

Denness noted Lloyd's reaction when he returned to the dressing room after one innings. "Within seconds his body was quivering. His neck and the top half of his body in particular were shaking. He was shell-shocked."

"There was no respite," added Dennis Amiss, who the previous year had set a record for the most Test runs in a calendar year but ended the tour a shadow of the batsman he was.

Greig started the bouncers but Australia finished them but Thommo did not need a bouncer to dismiss Greig for 2 - the old sandshoe crusher did the trick >

A little later of course Gatting thought it unnecessary to cover his stumps against the new spin bowler having his first bowl in test cricket there any more than usual....

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.