Hi Everyone, I find universal acceptance of the calorie myth is...

1. 99 Posts.
    Hi Everyone,

I find universal acceptance of the calorie myth is almost as interesting as the discussion. It seems to be an accepted 'fact' that eat so many calories = weight loss....It's an area I've been interested in and have done plenty of reading on the subject.

I would suggest to you that you download Zoe Harcombe's book The Obesity Epidemic: What Caused it? How can we stop it? from Amazon, well written and very interesting. In it she discusses her pursuit of the truth of the 'calorie base for weight loss'and her requests of Government bodies to provide her with proof of their calculations; eyeopening to say the least.

I have found in my personal quest a great many opinions and fallacies about weight gain, weight loss and exercise. This is what I now know to be true for me.

1. Exercise is not optional. You can eat, but if you don't challenge your body, eventually you will be unhealthy.
    2. The portion of protein you eat should be as large as your palm, the portion of carbohydrate as large as your fist, and these two things should comprise 20% of your meal. The rest should be vegetables, with some fruit if you want it.
    3. Avoid sugar and white flour wherever possible.
    4. Drink lots of water.
    5. Take a good organic multivitamin every day without fail to make up for any deficiencies in our vegetables.
    6. Spend time being cheerful and happy every day.

I think that for me these six things comprise the bulk of what I do. And, in case you are wondering, Yes, I am still overweight. No I am not as overweight as I once was. I can see a difference in how I was since I adopted these guidelines for myself.

We live in an age of convenience, high carb foods. We have developed efficient mechanisms in our bodies for storing energy in the form of fat in order to cope with famines. It is not surprising that we as a population are getting fatter. But within every problem lies the seeds of the solution - you can still eat just change what you eat.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.