Hey Bellcurve.I don't really see the point of attacking people's...

1. 35,008 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4

Hey Bellcurve.

I don't really see the point of attacking people's qualifications. As long as they don't claim to experts on the subject, that is.

For most of us it is just an opinion. The real question is what that opinion is based on.

Is it because the bloke down the road said so ? Or a popular person said so ?

Or is it because thousands of qualified people in the field said so ? Is it because respected scientific organisations said so ?

Just as we follow the advice and trust the medical industry and the aeronautical industry etc, I think the smart thing to do is to go with the experts.

Having an open mind is important and usually education assists in this area as well.

Isn't it interesting that the deniers cannot find one independant, respected scientific organisation to support their claims. Oil companies have a large number of scientists working for them and yet even the oil companies agree that we need to reduce emissions !

When a celebrity or a politician such as the ones you have named start talking, I'm always waiting for them to come up with something new. Something we didn't know in the science field that might swing the argument. Unfortunately, they never do. The car crash interview by Craig Kelly with Piers Morgan recently is an example. If you are going to be interviewed by Morgan you'd want to have your facts straight. Embarrassing, Kelly couldn't even stay on message and just rambled.

I was genuinely embarrassed as an Australian.

I do agree with your view 100%. What I have noticed is the circular argument of the trolls. They will put something up, it will be discredited and they will move on to the next subject with no acknowledgment that they were wrong. Eventually they run out of subjects so they just come back around to the start. Discrediting Gore and Flannery has been around several times. Old videos of wind turbines failing is another favorite. Then there's the renewables recycling argument etc. Round and round we go.

What I find interesting is how they ignore what is actually going on. They can argue black and blue that increasing atmospheric CO2 does not cause global warming. It matters not as everyday around the world efforts are being made to reduce CO2 emissions. In some places it is not as fast as it should be but nevertheless, it is happening.

So, despite their whinging, emission reduction rolls on.

I have a particular interest in the science of emission reduction and renewable energy so I read quite a bit in order to keep up to date on developments. It is amazing what is going on in the background. Particularly in the area of energy storage.

I guess this is why the trolls survive online. Because they are anonymous they won't suffer the embarassment of being wrong.

Unlike the public figures who are just making fools of themselves these days.....eek.png

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.