"How about a little tolerance and respect for other...

1. 2,381 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    "How about a little tolerance and respect for other people"

Goldie, I think the point should be tolerance and respect for ALL people. Why are international students poor efforts tolerated whilst Australian students are not? Why do I have to photocopy course materials that used to be provided for us, whilst international students' course materials are provided? Why are international students provided with prayer rooms when I can't even reserve a room for group work because there are not enough available? I feel that Australian students are being discriminated against in their own country simply because their fees are subsidised. It was not so long ago that Australian citizens were educated for free and universities were not overcrowded because of underperforming students who are simply there because they can't be bothered getting a job. Fair enough, some Commonwealth supported students are Muslim, but I bet you they are not the ones pushing for the prayer rooms.

I find it amazing what universities will do these days just to make more profit. They are lowering entry standards and overfilling classes knowing full well that these students will not make it past the first year but collecting the fees anyways. The dropout rate in my course from first to second year was over 50%. Sure, some of these students may have transferred to other course, but a vast majority of them simply couldn't handle the workload.

The comments made earlier on about Uni bars and childminding are an unfair comparison to providing segragated facilities used exclusively for the member of one religion. Whilst it is debatable that they are profit making or not, I doubt that the university is actually out of pocket because of their existance, and therefore not reliant on additional taxpayer funds. When I inquired about Uni childcare, the fees were actually higher than centres in my local area.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.