Why so-called panic buying is the right thing to do and very Australian

1. 2,847 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2423
    It's time to call out the ignorance of the Australian government for the greater good.

Why so-called panic buying is the right thing to do and very Australian

Extra shopping now will relieve pressure on our supermarkets once the inevitable lock-down arrives, after all, our corona curve is less than two weeks behind Italy’s. But their lock- down has one significant advantage to how it will be in Australia. They have delis on every street, whereas we have two supermarkets between tens of thousands. They restrict shoppers to three persons per time, whereas we can’t even include our supermarkets into our maximum 100 persons gatherings. So much for social distancing. Also, the virus will love our supermarkets, and be very sociable.

Therefore, the less time we spend in them later once the virus is in control, the better. But we can’t, because they are the only places to buy food in our centralized shopping system, and besides, our government is encouraging us to go there later rather than buy more now.

Oh my, what a sightless mob they are. I thought that the enormous extra demand for goods now would be much to their economic liking, but they seem not even to understand basic supply and demand equations in times of need. The enormous extra demand now is not only stimulating production, but it is invigorating distribution too. All these aspects are crucial before they all drastically reduce once workers go into isolation. When the virus curve is at its peak, workers will be at their least, yet Australians will still need to shop. Pity that the government is not encouraging us to buy more now to resolve that problem later.

Besides, when it is time to stay indoors later, being forced outside to shop will only decrease the social distancing and feed the virus.

Actually, I think disobeying the government by shopping for a little extra now is the most Australian thing to do.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.