GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

I try to understand all points of view, so I have put myself in...

1. 7,423 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 152
    I try to understand all points of view, so I have put myself in the position of a long term holder of gold to analyse the case "For". A question emerged from this exercise that I can't precisely answer.

If I am a long term holder of gold because I believed:
    • That the banks hold huge unreported short gold positions that they will soon be forced to buy back; or
    • Global systemic banking collapse was imminent and would destroy the value of all paper currency; or
    • War was about to break out in the Middle East; or
    • Globally currencies would become so debased by quantitative easing causing hyperinflation and a catastrophic collapse in the value of paper money; or
    • Asian central banks are “hoovering” global physical inventories
    • Western banks are stealing their client’s holdings
    • (Fill in any crisis I may have missed);

and I believe that owning gold was the best protection of my wealth and spending power in these crises, WHY WOULD I TALK THE PRICE OF GOLD UP?

If I held gold or had cash to purchase gold, surely it would be in my interests to talk the price down so that I could buy gold at lower prices and be even better off after the crisis. If one or more of these crises are inevitable, and gold will achieve an exulted values, surely talking the price of gold up is not necessary. It will eventually go up anyway.

So why do long term holders of gold talk the price up?

• Is being seen to be right more important than increasing the utility they might achieve by owning more gold at lower prices? or
    • Do they really believe their own predictions, or are they just traders ramping the market in the hope of selling at higher levels? or
    • Have they spent all their cash on gold and are now looking to encourage new buyers to vindicate their judgement of the market? or
    • Are they philanthropists, encouraging gold buying as a public service?

I am mystified and would appreciated advice.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.