GOLD 0.51% $1,391.7 gold futures

The article listed is very interesting but for all the wrong...

1. 1,218 Posts.
    The article listed is very interesting but for all the wrong reasons the author wanted to expound.
    The fact that gold and gold shares make up .8% of the stock market compared to previous percentages above 20% is not a negative thing, it is more a question of changing times and reality. People just no longer value the commodity as they once did.
    I can illustrate this with an example. I visited the emperors palace in Beijing and saw the private rooms of the emperors. What struck me was that they really lived a simple life compared to the richness of current lifestyles. They may have had cellars full of gold but their everyday life was about sitting around making decrees, playing maj jong and with the occasional interlude with a concubine. Not much else going on there. Our grandparents lived simple lifestyles too. No decrees, some games and precious few interludes, but a desire to retain and grow their wealth.
    Compare this with a current lower middle class lifestyle. After work there are numerous activities. Sport, recreation, pub, television, internet (posting rubbish on Hotcopper!) and the like. The point I am making is that there is no place in the current average person's lifestyle for gold. Except for some jewelery, it does not figure. Whereas 100 years ago, after land, it was the primary store of wealth. Today there is so much more. Who would give up their widescreen tv for an ounce of gold. Not me. Or their music centre, overseas holiday, stainless steel kitchen, Aston Martin DB9, Quad-core computer system etc etc.
    Gold makes up .8% of global assets because this reflects its allure. Indians traditionally aspire to own gold because it stores value. Today they will swap it for a karaoke machine or the like in a minute.
    Gold may rise but only until the global economy is back in sync. Then it will be all about 100 inch tvs and DB10's.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GOLD (COMEX) to my watchlist

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.