TGR 0.00% $5.22 tassal group limited

Why would you short Tassals *now*?, page-288

1. 724 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1087
    I was thinking this morning, what would it take in the earnings for the market to think 'neutral' on the results. Presumably with the Covid and global salmon price headwinds, a neutral result would be no change from 1H20. Maybe no growth would be seen negatively, but I think it's not a bad benchmark to look at.

Focusing on EBITDA (pre-AASB16), the benchmark for FY20 is $127.3m or 1H20 was $66m - essentially pretty even from 1H (52%) to 2H (48%), and with increasing prawns I suspect it may tilt a bit more to 1H.

To get that $66m EBITDA, let's assume seafood remains flat at $2.2m (it's negligible really, can only go up probably). For prawns, in FY20 it was worth a total of $12.3m but is expecting to grow to $20m. I have assumed the ramp up continues at the normal pace, and so expecting 1H21 of $9m. That leaves $52.6m for salmon, which is the equivalent to a 7% decline (you could break that down to around +1 volume and -8% price action). Note I didn't look at cash flow on this recognising that prawn CAPEX will impact on it. But overall if these were the results, then the 5.4% yield is essentially safe and I can't see the market pushing the price down further.

Flip it around, and putting the 'Shorters' hat on. If they were projecting earnings to decline to a point where the current price is "expensive", how far would earnings need to drop? Well, let's say 'expensive' is 4% yield (that compares with others in the market like Inghams) - then earnings would need to drop to $46.2m, and if you assume that prawns are just flat (no growth), then that would require a 29% decline in salmon EBITDA . Or if you were to say expensive is PE ratio of 15 (currently 9.8, and 15 seems to be a high water mark), and again no changes in prawns, then that would require $41.6m of EBITDA and a 38% decline in salmon EBITDA. The shorters really are banking on things going pear shaped.

Clearly I'm bullish on TGR. And at these prices, would look at averaging down. But I don't like betting on price movement pre earnings results. If the earnings are -30% despite the prawn growth, and the price tanks, then like the Director's I'll continue to nibble away..

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TGR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.