TGR 0.00% $5.22 tassal group limited

Why would you short Tassals *now*?, page-744

1. 724 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1087
    Thanks, much appreciated.

I have zero idea how Mr Market responds. I am forever impressed at how irrational the market can be. As someone who invests based on fundamentals of a business, I can only take solace in the fact that in the long run, it's a weighing machine not a voting machine.

Take a look at Murray Cod Australia (ASX:MCA). It is worth a market cap of $200m today ($300m in May 2021), with sales of around 100t at $8m revenue, huge CAPEX required for it's next stage of growth, no known markets domestically or internationally. Yet. The market loves it. If Tassal was priced at the same level (based on revenue, not earnings because they have none) it would be worth $15bn market cap or say ~$50 a share. This is not investment advice to go run out and buy MCA ! hah.

Or take a look at Huon, whom released trading update today (which was really bullish for domestic wholesale and retail salmon prices). They reckon they'll get $20m EBITDA on 35kt salmon across FY21, whereas Tassal should be around $160m EBITDA on 43kt salmon. While we're looking at 8x operating earnings with a greater growth runway thanks to prawns, the reality is that Tassal trades at only 2x the enterprise value or 3x the market cap.

So do I think Mr Market is going to suddenly re-rate Tassal even if their annual report hits all the high notes? Not sure. My uneducated guess would be that fund managers will not take note unless the free cash flow increases by at least 25% - then the dividend yield and PE ratio will probably screen for them to take a look.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TGR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.