Why Xenophon's Wants To Use Super for FHB Deposit?, page-3

1. 36,765 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    From what I know of Nick Xenophon ( not much ) , I think his intentions are great . Probably one of the greatest politicians attempting to represent the common man . Not sure about this idea though .

I used to think that using super for a house deposit was a good idea . Indeed it is used in a few places around the world . I'm pretty sure Singapore has a version of this although it's quite different to ours .

That said , I don't think it's a good idea because I think it would distort the market eventually . I would really like to see a projection out to 50 years to see how it would work and I'm not sure that's possible .

Probably gets back to people being responsible for themselves ( sounds like the other thread ) . We want people to take responsibility for themselves but we don't want to tell people how to live their lives . There is no doubt that just about anyone can afford a house in Australia if they sacrifice a bit but that might mean shifting to a different suburb ( or town ) , upskilling for a better job etc . I think Australians in general have lost sight of that .

How do we get that back ?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.