As a business teacher, I could equally mount a case against...

1. 28,589 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 424
    As a business teacher, I could equally mount a case against having Personal Finance as a unit or subject in the curriculum as I could in favour of having it. I simply think the former to be a stronger case despite the fact that its introduction would have been to my own advantage. You are treading on very sensitive ground if you suggest to teachers that they don't have the kids' best interest at heart and that if they did, that would "a change". They are your words. You would be considered ignorant and aggressive and lose credibility should you suggest this. Teachers are very interested in their students, their wellbeing and their learning. In order to assess the desirability of such a course, you would need to have far more information as to the syllabus. It is not the correct forum to discuss this here as it is too complex. When teachers take a proposed addition to the Curriculum Committee, they need to be very well prepared as there is likely to be opposition, as there should be, and it would be dependent upon the final decision by the committee.

And yes, we do "focus on what's best for the kids" and that is not "a change". Teachers will compete, of course, but then they usually have respect, and enjoy, their own subject matter (as they should) so will argue the toss should they see fit. Teachers who get elected to the Curriculum Committee are there because of their keen interest in this part of school life and likely to be very conscientious with their decision making. That has been my experience, anyway, and I taught for about 35 years in several schools and in two different countries.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.