FMG 1.20% $21.41 fortescue ltd

The idea that FMG will blithely and easily transition to "Green...

1. 410 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    The idea that FMG will blithely and easily transition to "Green Steel", pops up frequently in discussion as a silver bullet to low grade ore and is a bit of a fantasy and always annoying when I see it as an argument that we don't need the China market. Australia is in no position to create green hydrogen and the Morrison government has recently rejected a proposal to build the world's largest hydrogen project in WA. Now it seems they will instead spend trillions on a 30 year plan to build Nuclear Subs.

So several problems. (I'll keep it short)

1. No green hydrogen production at scale in Australia.
    2. Blue hydrogen (derived from coal or petrochemicals) is more harmful than burning coal according to a recent study.
    3 Hydrogen Breakthrough Ironmaking Technology is not easy. Look it up. The first piece of green steel in history was only made this month by Volvo in Sweden. Advanced, proprietorial technologies needed and is advancing in Europe under governments committed to fighting climate change. Even so it is possibly decades away.

FMG will not succeed in Green Steel technology and production under this current climate denying government which is beating the drums of war simply to win the next election.

Those who say a Labor government would be infinitely worse. So be it. We get the government we deserve.

Politics aside, don't look to green steel as some sort of quick solution for FMG's one trick pony. Dig hole. Extract ore. Ship to China. Many, many barriers in the way to FMG being a green steel producer.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FMG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$21.41
Change
-0.260(1.20%)
Mkt cap ! $65.92B
Open High Low Value Volume
$21.52 $21.67 $21.30 $150.5M 7.000M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 93 $21.40

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$21.41 12657 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FMG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.