QAN 1.64% $5.99 qantas airways limited

Will QAN survive?, page-2353

1. 10,539 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1389
    I don't wish to get sidetracked as this is the QAN forum not the BGA one, but both companies have what could be regarded by many as 'iconic' brands (even though personally I hold BGA in far higher regard than this airline), both have challenges (read tony75, dawgfather and others re QAN, while BGA seems to have had some 'supply chain problems' - one is rapidly getting sick of that phrase - and milk supply from dairyfarmers is not increasing much if at all, and there's competition to obtain it.

Both will be affected by inflation, but of the two, maybe BGA has a slightly greater capacity to pass on costs. After all, perhaps it's benefiting a bit from 'stay-at-home' workers (more peanut butter, Vegemite, Dairy Famers/Yoplait/Farmers Union yoghurt and Bega Cheese and maybe Pura milk consumed), whereas for QAN home-based workers are an 'enemy' (they travel less).

QAN continues to make unsustainable losses and has no net tangible assets to speak of left, but is expert at going cap-in-hand to government. It will I believe need to do a capital raising or face some sort of takeover by a Federal Government that may obliterate holders' wealth, while BGA makes a net profit, so far (until we're told otherwise) has its Lion Dairy and Drinks acquisition going OK and may in time navigate the COVID challenges.

BGA has an understated Chairman in Barry Irvin who endeavours not to make super optimistic projections where in Mr Alan Joyce, QAN CEO, we have someone who is expected to be 'Mr Optimism' and whose recent history is in making incorrect forecasts, repeatedly.

I wouldn't touch REX or QAN with a bargepole but have BGA, although latter so far is not my best performing stock. But despite the problems with the rail line flooding that must be hitting sales in WA as intermodal trains convey BGA's chilled grocery lines across to Perth and WA, and road transport can't completely fill the gap, BGA has a much better future than QAN.

The rise in oil prices seems to have been little discussed but it must be hurting airlines badly. BGA isn't totally immune from inflation or steep rises in container shipping or road transport costs but it isn't perhaps quite the crisis it may be for QAN.

But I can guarantee that reporters salivating at the thought of a business class freebie on QAN will pay it 10 or 20 times the attention they pay BGA.
    Last edited by Hopeful9: 08/02/22

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QAN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.99
Change
-0.100(1.64%)
Mkt cap ! $9.760B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.01 $6.03 $5.96 $37.50M 6.276M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 215097 $5.98

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.00 62802 7
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
QAN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.