MSB 3.21% $1.13 mesoblast limited

Will the FDA refuse approval in the face of the favourable ODAC 9 versus 1 vote?, page-31

1. 2,479 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 274
    The research also noted that almost half the time the FDA went against the 62 "approved" Advisory Committee recommendations was in the early years of 2008 to 2009. Less than 10% of the disagreement happened in 2014 to 2015. This seems to indicate that the FDA grows increasingly reluctant to go against recommendations over the passage of time.

I suspect this is more to do with who was on board at the time and less about FDA decision-making culture (though the two would be very heavily intertwined).

Kelsey is a now famous figure for single handedly blocking the passage of Thalidomide through the the FDA approval process.

More recent approval figures would be more telling, but I don't know if they're avaiable.

Further, in answer to the paragraph above, I am persuaded by the (more recent) 2016 and 2013 publications which suggest that on occasions where an Advisory Committee casts a positive vote of approval, there is between a 87.8% to 93.7% probability of the FDA ultimately following this recommendation and approving.

I always say "statistics don't matter to the individual". If you have a 1 in a million chance of getting some weird degenerative brain disorder, that statistic means nothing if you are the one. Thye're very very cold comfort. ANd someone, somewhere has to be that one.

So some company, somewhere has to make up that 6.3% to 12.2%. And there's every possibility that MSB will be one of them.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MSB (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.