CAZ 5.00% 1.9¢ cazaly resources limited

Carpenter, McGinty take centre stage in leadership battleROBERT...

1. jjl
    42 Posts.
    Carpenter, McGinty take centre stage in leadership battle

ROBERT TAYLOR

Energy Minister Alan Carpenter and Health Minister Jim McGinty have emerged as the leading candidates to become WA's next premier after the shock resignation yesterday of Geoff Gallop on medical grounds.

Dr Gallop, returned from a month's holiday to announce he was being treated for depression and would relinquish the job he has held since leading the ALP to an upset victory over Richard Court's Liberal coalition in 2001.

Flanked by wife Bev and son Leo and with his Cabinet colleagues behind him, a subdued Dr Gallop said doctors had advised him that his condition was treatable given time and space.

"However, I cannot be certain how long I will need. So in the interests of my health and my family I have decided to rethink my career," 54-year-old Dr Gallop said, bringing the curtain down on a 20-year parliamentary career. "My commitment to politics has always been 100 per cent plus. I now need that time to restore my health and well-being. Therefore I am announcing today my intention to resign as Premier of Western Australia and Member for Victoria Park in the State Parliament."

Treasurer Eric Ripper will remain Acting Premier until the ALP caucus meets on February 2 to elect a new leader and premier.

Mr Carpenter, 48, who has long been considered the heir-apparent to Dr Gallop, was in London last night, about to board a flight home after holidaying in Europe with his family.

A spokesman for the Energy Minister said he would not be "breaking cover" until Thursday and had not made up his mind whether to be a candidate.

But most MPs contacted by The West Australian yesterday not only expected the former ABC television journalist to run, but to win.

Mr McGinty, the leader of the party's dominant Left faction who led the ALP in Opposition from 1994 to 1996, did not return calls.

Other possible contenders for the top job are Mr Ripper and Police Minister Michelle Roberts. Dr Gallop's resignation caught his colleagues by surprise and will be a major boost for Opposition Leader Matt Birney who has struggled to make headway in the polls against the popular Premier.

Mr Ripper, who was told of Dr Gallop's decision on Saturday said the Premier had struggled with the condition for some time.

"I'm surprised. I didn't have any insight that this was a particular issue that he was dealing with," Mr Ripper said. "It would appear that like many great leaders he's had to deal with this issue at the same time he's had to lead the State."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CAZ (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
1.9¢
Change
-0.001(5.00%)
Mkt cap ! $8.638M
Open High Low Value Volume
1.9¢ 1.9¢ 1.9¢ $3.591K 189.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 211000 1.9¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
2.0¢ 306850 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 14.05pm 19/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CAZ (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.