I will be surprised if you wouldn't lose that bet. But both you...

1. 6,585 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 287
    I will be surprised if you wouldn't lose that bet. But both you and I , being well into our dotage, wont be in a position to check unfortunately.
    This doesn't change the fact that the thread title is misleading at best, and it is amusing the reaction to your observation that subsidies are therefore no longer necessary. The arguments then changed of course when sierra got over the horror of what you wrote.
    A few observations though.
    I struggle to see the relevance of Li batteries as a long term solution, primarily because of the relative scarcity of their components.
    Probably wont stop plaintive cries for subsidies for home battery systems. I will of course avail myself of such largesse ,if such regressive subsidies come into being[much as I've profited from the solar panel idiocy, seems harsh that I should do so again, just because I've got plenty of cash for the upfront cost].
    The renewable sector has been wasteful. Energy savings thru more efficient design of our cities and the way we live[zoning changes, better public transport, changes in work practices, mandated energy standards for buildings and appliances etc], might well have been a better use for the coin dispensed for roof top solar for instance.
    But hey, at least we have helped produce a massive industry manufacturing solar panels overseas[oh wait, that might have happened even if we hadn't wasted the money here].
    Might it be better not to be an early adopter. Look at the price of Tristanc's nonlithium batteries over the past year.
    Glad we didn't waste money subsidising them at last years price.

So , in summary, time to stop subsidies? They seem to have just time shifted implementation anyway, at the cost of resources which might have been better spent elsewhere in our society.
    More rail transport, refurbish the grid to better handle distributed generation, better bicycle networks etc, might just improve our lives and be more profitable , and even produce the changes in energy use and atmospheric carbon that I think we need.
    Hopefully this post doesn't produce a regurgitation of the, mostly false, fossil fuels subsidy debate.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.