Wind farms are a joke, page-41

1. 12,119 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1759
    Wind generators are a joke, I've used them on yachts and catamarans over the past 20 odd years, the power generated by wind generators are definitely not worth the investment. Solar power however is a different 'kettle of fish', put enough solar panels on the deck and you'll generate enough power to operate all your equipment. Just make sure that nothing shades the panels whilst under sail or at anchor. Cruising sailors are extremely resourceful at getting the most from alternative sources of power.
    Generating power is one thing, what is most important is getting the most from your appliances. There are many ways to get the best advantage from the power generated and that is where most environmentalists fall down.
    Imagine getting hot water from your household fridge or airconditioning system.
    As a yachtie we've been doing that for years, by using a heat exchanger before the refrigeration condenser, this heats the hot water system. Yachties don't use air for cooling the refrigeration condenser, they use water its far more efficient. Why not run your airconditioning pipework through your rainwater tank, after you've heated your hotwater.
    Like everyone, I'm getting annoyed by the surging power bills at home, so what did I do?
    No.1 power usage is the hot water system, insulate it properly, I have just re-insulated my hot water system using 4" (100mm) of polyurethane foam. The result is 1/2 the electric used, most heat is lost due to poor insulation.
    The next step is to improve your refrigerator and freezer with better insulation.
    On yachts we use a eutectic tank (cold holdover plate) and 6" (150mm) of polyurethane foam insulation with al-foil between each 50mm layer. The result is a freezer requiring less than 1 hr running in 24hr.
    All those wind farms dotting the countryside are nothing but an eyesore and do not produce base load power.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.