AGL 1.49% $11.95 agl energy limited.

in terms of value to AGL... once they (coal power plants) are no...

1. 3,880 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 408
    in terms of value to AGL... once they (coal power plants) are no longer generating profit... do they carry a value?

if you are unable to operate or sell an asset due to it not being profitable to run - what is it worth? or is it worthless?

I think his statement is a valid threat of what could be for aging coal plants... 5 years may be too soon... but I have been on the record multiple times saying the remaining plant will not last out their effective lives. 2035 is 14 years away - IMO Accel will be lucky to get 8 years of profit (if coal pricing and NEM pricing trends continue) without government intervention IF (BIG IF) alternative generation and storage are not sufficiently developed by the end of this decade.

I also believe there is a recent proposal for change by NEM on co-location of solar plants and batteries (behind meter) IMO this will change how the day spot price is affected, the total amount of supply from solar (which gets constrained due to demand and transmission) & other renewables.... all of which will improve the NEM spot price (higher lows and lower highs)... it may help coal last a bit longer (remain profitable), but it will also encourage additional investment from LCOE technologies - so IMO coals walk to stage right will continue.

GLTAH... there is more pain to come before this demerger is done.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$11.95
Change
0.175(1.49%)
Mkt cap ! $7.985B
Open High Low Value Volume
$11.80 $12.00 $11.77 $12.92M 1.085M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
22 5563 $11.94

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$11.95 10684 20
View Market Depth
Last trade - 12.50pm 19/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
AGL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.