wine discussion, page-16

1. 822 Posts.
    Nice thread...

Initial disclosure: I am a winemaker.

A few generalised comments I skimmed over that are not necessarily accurate. I can't remember them all but I will add to the discussion and if you have any Qs then ask. No such thing as a silly question.

WET (wine equalisation tax) is attributed to the sale price and paid after the sale. The first several hundred thousand dollars of sales are WET exempt to help out small producers. It's a bit more complicated than that but you get the gist.

Sulphur Dioxide SO2, preservative 220 to 229 are all sulphur dioxide related are in every wine unless otherwise stated. Even in preservative free wines there is a legal tolerance of 10 ppm (milligrams per litre) as SO2 can be produced during ferment as yeast metabolises sulphur containing molecules. So even if no SO2 was added by the producer it can still be there. Bare in mind that most young wines will have less than 30ppm anyway and that it binds up with time so that aged wines will have little or none. It is the most common myth out there that sulphites are the cause of your headache. Yes people do have sulphur allergies but most people don't.

All wine changes with age. Some for the better some not it all depends on how it has been made and the grape variety itself. The structure, acid, tannin etc. I could show you a newly fermented red that would make you wet your pants with excitement conversely I could show you a two year old red that was shot. Fruit quality plays a pivotal role in this as does pH, sulphur,alcohol, sugar etc dependant on wine style.

On the subject of Sherry if you talking Pedro you are talking sweet. Dry sherry, Fino, is made from Palomino as is off dry Amontillado. Anyone looking for a good entry level sherry that is widely available should look out for Alvear from Montilla in Spain. They have an extensive range at very reasonable prices $20-30. They also have a 1927 solera Pedro, that was started in 1927 and yes it is more expensive but sounds like the sought of thing that you would like justis. I also see you're familiar with the Swan Valley check out Tallijancich he has some amazing fortifieds that were started by his father/grandfather including Pedros and Muscats.

Machine harvesters do shake everything out of the vines. I've seen rats, mice, lizards, spiders, cockroaches.........come thought he crusher. Most of it gets separated out with the stalks basically if its bigger than a grape then the destemmer spits it out. For the rest it stays in the press. Concerned about 'germs' that's why we use Sulphur Dioxide it's an anti microbial as well as an anti oxidant it is simply a winemakers best friend and over use can ruin a wine too so take comfort in the fact that we rigorously test and measure and use the appropriate amount relative to pH as possible.

Big versus small - passionate winemakers are found in every size of winery. I know of one man operations that don't give a .... And produce recipe based wines from crap fruit that they couldn't be bothered growing properly. Big producers can and do produce amazing wines if the culture and passion exists. That does not mean that every wine they produce is best in show but the same is true for the small guys too. What we are really discussing here is the perception of mass production versus artisan.

Anyway I can't remember what else to discuss so fire away if you have any questions.

Position Buy some wine

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.