Women no longer exist, page-118

1. 18,360 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325

I don’t expect anything from your posts. But I’m comfortable with responding to them. You will say whatever you say and think whatever you think

as to whether I’ve had in depth conversations with trans people - the answer is yes - a number of them. Each of them had their own experience and explanation of their lives and yet not one of them has said they want “equal rights” - though it was actually your suggestion that was what they wanted. The way they had arrived at their sense of the self was different as well. What mattered to them not being talked to or treated as if they were somehow bad or mad.

I don’t and can’t fathom their experience just as I couldn’t fathom what it felt like to decide one was gay in the days that coming out was problematic. I had many conversations then as well where friends struggled with their sense of self.

For myself though I experienced a disturbing conversation with an lgbtqi group about the use of pronouns. Only one of those in the large group of about 20 of us studying gender politics was trans and only 2 of us were straight. In their eagerness to defend the rights of trans people who btw was the least pushy or noisy or unpleasant on the topic I was berated for not being prepared to label myself with a pronoun. They couldn’t understand that I never identify myself in relation to gender or sex and that I have no interest in choosing a pronoun.

that you think that trans people should have their own toilets or sports categories would be immediately taken as disrespectful and lacking in understanding and maybe even as being bigoted. You may not be but your views will mark you out

as to your lack of awareness of the linguistic changes

maybe women are more aware than men of these linguistic niceties because so many of them relate to women. I don’t know

it‘s easy to think that raising the concerns that many good old fashioned feminists have means some sort of intolerance. There are plenty of good old fashioned gay make activists who aren’t too comfortable about it either. I think most of use in this category are treading carefully through the implications of our discomfort.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.