WDS 1.28% $29.31 woodside energy group ltd

Woodside (WPL) Strategic Valuation, page-10

1. 16,584 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8092
    Consensus valuations of commodity producing businesses are predicated in great part on the the pricing of futures.

The sharp rise in the spot crude price over the past 12 months has resulted in the futures curve being in sharp backwardation... i.e.,.  while the short end has ripped upwards, the Dec 2025 contract has barely moved

oil futures.JPG

Based on the strong underlying supply-demand fundamentals for crude, I fully expect the long end to lift significantly at some stage over the foreseeable future and the reason it hasn't in recent months is because of the dual impacts of the announcement by the US government's intention to release strategic reserves into the market (which will really only be a drop in the ocean and, if anything, merely serves to publicize just how tight the global oil market is) and omicron (which, looking to be quite mild, will pass in due course).

These factors have featured prominently in the mainstream media, resulting in the drowning out of other significant drivers of future oil prices, such as:

-  global demand that continues to surprise on the upside (despite omicron, mind)
    - OPEC+'s continued quota over-compliance (i.e., OPEC+ as a whole falling short of pumping quotas), and a number of early indications of energy nationalism, such as this:

Mexico oil exports.JPG

Note: While Mexico is a small exported of crude, it is one of the world's largest seller's of long-dated crude, so it's exit out of the futures market will remove a meaningful cap on futures prices.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$29.31
Change
0.370(1.28%)
Mkt cap ! $55.79B
Open High Low Value Volume
$29.30 $29.48 $29.21 $137.5M 4.684M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 4532 $29.30

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$29.32 340 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 15/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.