work until you're 70, page-50

1. 133 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4
    Sorry The-Head but alot of what Hingdog says is true.

Let me tell you a story. When I first started work as an elect apprentice back in late 60's I needed a car. So i borrowed about $700 from my grandfathe to buy an EH holden.
    Every pay day I was there with most of my pay in my hand to repay him. When I had paid the principle off I asked him how much interest I owed him. He said none because I had been there on que every second friday to pay him. I had been rewarded.
    A bit down the track on one of my visits I saw him with a dog eared exercise book. He was always writing something down as he read the bussiness section of the paper. So i asked him what he was doing. He was tracking his shares. Hmmm That got me interested. After chatting for a while I asked if I buy shares as well. He said I should pay into super and pay off my home asap. Thats what I did. Once house was paid off the amount of money that was house payment was then paid into my Super or any other investment I liked. Do any of your remember OST mortgage fund? they went broke and I lost some $$$, bugger. What about NRMA Investment bonds, the one that if you held for 10 years were tax free. You could add 125% of previous years deposit as long as you didnt miss a year. I did well out of those.
    I learnt valuable lessons about investring over my 30 year working life. Interest rates were high on home loans, 19% if I remember correctly, didnt worry me I had paid out my loan so I did well on term deposits.
    I could go on but I said enough. You can achieve what you want if you work and save hard enough. I only worked in one job but today it might take a couple of jobs. You want to retire at 49 as I did work for the goal.
    Ive attached my Asset Graph that starts the day I retired. It doesnt include my home or the approx $800k that ive gifted to my kids.

Invest well fellow HC posters

AMP, ANZ, BEN, BHP, BOQ, BSL, CBA, COL, IAG, JHG, MPL, NAB, NHF, S32, TLS, WBC, WDS, WES

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5318/5318966-327d8620412c4e5d1eb9c08dead5d8ec.jpg

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.