world cup is coming - queens birthday fixtures

1. 13,068 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18
    First lot of games start in just over two weeks. Have got the beer in, currently preparing Mrs Free WIll for the late nights/early starts. Remember last world cup when my 1 year old daughter was crying and would not go back to sleep - bought her in to watch England playing and it worked a treat in getting her back to sleep (says a lot about England's playing style, LOL). First weekend fixtures are as follows. Times are Australian EST, or at least they should be, if I can add up........

Friday June 11 midnight South Africa v Mexico - should be a good opener. Home nation against the Mexicans, who have lost to England and the Dutch in recent friendlies. Should be a close game. South Africa to win IMO.

Saturday June 12 4:30 am Uruguay v France - France are not the team that they once were, but with Clichy, Gallas, Ribery and Henry, Les Bleus should come out winners.

Saturday June 12 9:30 pm South Korea v Greece - The first game at a reasonable hour for Eastern state viewers. With boat sinkings and economic crisis, both teams could do with a good result to cheer up the natives. Should be close, but I tip South Korea. So shorting the Greek stockmarket may be a good move.

Saturday June 12 midnight Argentina v Nigeria - I dislike Argentina intensely ever since that fat cheat Maradona colluded with that blind ref to deny England victory. Messi is outstanding and destroyed Arsenal in the champions league. But they are certainly not as good as they were. Nigeria are really just cannon fodder IMO.

Sunday June 13, 2010 4:30 am England v United States. Yes, it's early in the morning, but Monday's the Queens birthday thanks to the failure of the republican referendum. So stay up late and sleep in or get up early and go back to bed. Sporting Bet have England as third favourites after Spain and Brazil, but personally I think this reflects the eternal optimism of English football fans and the weight of their betting distorting odds. Should beat the US easily.

Sunday June 13 9:30 pm Algeria v Slovenia - another game at a decent time. Shame it's a couple of early stage fodder teams. Don't know much about either team, so let's call it a draw.

Sunday June 13 midnight Serbia v Ghana. Should be a good one. Boateng started his world cup campaign early, taking out Ballack in the premier league. A big blow for Germany. Ghana are a useful side with Essien dominating in midfield. Could be close, but can't see Serbia matching the Ghanains.

Monday June 14, 2010 4.30 am Germany v Australia. The big one. Ballack is a huge loss for the Germans. Soccerroos will need to to perform at their best if they are to get a result here. You can get 7-1 at Sporting Bet. Probably a bit high and worth punt if you like outsiders, but if we can beat the Germans, we are half way to the next round.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.