[IMG] TIM CAHILL ✔@Tim_Cahill Today’s the day that I’m...

1. 10,806 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 288

TIM CAHILL

✔@Tim_Cahill

Today’s the day that I’m officially hanging up my boots on my international career with the Socceroos.

No words can describe what it has meant to represent my country.

Massive thank you to everyone for the support throughout all my years wearing the Australian badge.

10:09 AM - Jul 17, 2018

Australia's leading international goalscorer confirmed via Twitter on Tuesday that he has retired from international football after scoring 50 goals in 107 appearances.

It comes after his cameo off the bench against Peru last month at the World Cup in Russia, which marked his fourth appearance at the global showpiece tournament.

Cahill, now 38, had scored in the previous three.

Those achievements will almost certainly stand the test of time in Australia.

Cahill will likely answer those questions - and reveal his thoughts about the way Bert van Marwijk used him in Russia for the first time - when he fronts a press conference in Sydney on Friday.

He did not speak to media after Australia's clash with Denmark, when van Marwijk controversially left him on the bench as they searched for a winning goal, or after his 37-minute spell against Peru.

Regardless, Cahill will go down as perhaps the greatest Socceroo of all time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.