Some of my "favourites" have been omitted, so here goes:KEY,...

1. 11,115 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 623
    Some of my "favourites" have been omitted, so here goes:

KEY, CIG, MHL, BDG, VRE, LVR/PSV, PSA, PRE (which still has some real hope).

Not sure if anyone mentioned CVI - what a star performer in so many starry commodities. One that I avoided because it was such a star, with a star-studded following of superstars.

Others which deserve an honourable mention are :
    ELK - had a strong following of truebelievers, many of whom decided to go down with the ship
    MON - oh the pain of another goldies failing on the dreams of its CEO
    CAV - transforming from an iron ore explorer in Brazil to an oil explorer since GFC1
    DON - diamonds are not for everyone, some producers fail
    ALB - lower grade African Ni producer destroyed by falling Ni price

I had sold out of most of my shares by the middle of 2008, but started buying in too early with the result that my portfolio had halved by December 2008 to $130K. My superfund remained in cash. After consulting some wiseman about my major investment I decided to sell half my remaining portfolio. As one does I sold all my good companies (WSA, BOW, AXO, KZL, CVN) and kept the dogs (such as MHL, PRE, OEL, CIG, NGF, HNR) which I felt would ultimately recover. Had I not sold anything I would have recovered my losses by early April 2009 without having to do anything. It took an injection of new funds and an additional 5 months for me to get back to square in September 2009. Only then did I feel confident enough to start investing money from my superfund. A few lessons were learned, and some mental scar tissue still remains.

I am sure there are lots of stories of how people coped with their GCF1 encounter. GFC2 for anyone? Lots of doggies out there to take a giant-sized bite out of our behind at anytime if we do not run away fast enough.

loki

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.