would multinationalism work in china, page-5

1. 6,721 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    I was in China 25 years ago. i was lucky enough to be able to travel all over.
    Doesn't mean I know anything as it was a long time ago and I didn't really understand the lingo, so I only have my observations and what people told me.

What i saw was a monocultural Han(ethnic chinese)in the vast majority with certain minorities(Turkic, in the west, Hmong, in the south, Tibetan in Tibet,where else but, and Mongols in the northwest).
    They weren't multicultural in the aussie sense as far as I could see. Probably because they are in such a majority,and saw no reason to be anything other than chinese.
    The main factor as I see it in Oz is that the number of migrants from any particular ethnicity is kept reasonably low, possibly to sort of match the assimilation rate of the kids(school is the big assimilator). If we had a huge ethnic minority eg largely unassimilable Moroccans,Algerians and Tunisians in France at 10% of the population with double the birthrate of the French, we would have a real problem, like they will have in a few years time.
    Not racist, simply demographics. We are very lucky with what we have.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.