Looking at it bluntly, Suncorp probably estimated that the...

1. 461 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 21
    Looking at it bluntly, Suncorp probably estimated that the percentage of staff taking up the benefits will be negligible and that the cost is well worth the marketing expense for ESG reasons. They probably reached out to the media to gain additional publicity, hence the existence of this article.

The article tries to plug in Albo, but he had nothing to do with Suncorp's actions or those of ANZ, Coles and Woolworths.

For those interested in more details:
    The Queensland Parliament Bill mentioned in the article is the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registration Bill 2022.
    The Bill is available to read here and has not become an Act yet:
    https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au/bills/2022/3129/Births,-Deaths-and-Marriages-Registration-Bill-2022-38a3.pdf

It is being spearheaded by Hon Shannon Fentiman MP (ALP) who is Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Minister for Women and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence.
    Her speech about the Bill can be read here:
    https://documents.parliament.qld.gov.au/events/han/2022/2022_12_02_WEEKLY.pdf#page=24

In her speech, Shannon quoted people who contacted her office.
    Examples:
    "I look at my birth certificate and it’s wrong; it’s my last remaining identity document that’s in error, something that’s wrong.Whenever I must present my birth certificate, I get anxious, worried that the person reading it will think I’m a fraud, or worse,mentally ill—merely because I know I’m a female and yet my birth certificate says I’m a male." - Emily

"My daughter is 17 and has just completed year 12.She is at a stage in her life where she should be applying for a learner’s permit, looking for casual work and applying to tertiaryinstitutions for further education.These are all things that she very much desires to do, just like any other teenager, however these are also things that require herto present her birth certificate to verify her Australian citizenship.But because she was born in Queensland, her birth certificate identifies her as male." - Selina

Reading their accounts may help people come to their own conclusions about the reasoning behind the Bill.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.