WDS 1.38% $24.25 woodside energy group ltd

I'm in a similar position to you. My last purchase was at $18.15...

1. 403 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 612
    I'm in a similar position to you. My last purchase was at $18.15 before it crept up to $18.50, so I'm not interested in the seventeens but if it drops to 16-odd dollars I'll be topping-up again with an aim to getting into nineteen-odd dollars of average purchase price. One thing I learned from the 2008 crisis is the value of averaging-down. I didn't panic-sell my ANZ shares, but did not re-invest dividends, and didn't have have the intestinal fortitude to buy more either. I keep thinking how I eventually broke-even, but could have made a nice profit if I'd only gotten that average purchase price down. Instead, each time the share price rose I was only clawing-back losses.

Looking at my watchlist and portfolio, I can see stocks which you almost couldn't give away a few months ago (even after the March sell-off) and are now doing really well. In a strange way, I'm reassured by the fact the oil price has such a large bearing on the fortunes of WPL. All the company needs to do is keep producing oil and gas at a low cost (which it is) and the share price will move with the WTI price. It's not like a retailer or bank or service company which needs to produce a customised product that can go out of favour. The energy recovery is inevitible; the timing is unknown. It is not a nice feeling, however, buying-in and knowing the share price will probably be lower tomorrow. It almost feels like burning money. Nobody ever buys a stock today thinking it will be worth less tomorrow, but it feels like it sometimes!

Lately, the market seems to be either flat, up 100+ points, or down 100+ points. I like how you wrote you've set entry points and are being disciplined -- making the market be your servant rather than your master. That way you can look forward to down days.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$24.25
Change
0.330(1.38%)
Mkt cap ! $46.04B
Open High Low Value Volume
$24.55 $24.59 $24.16 $116.2M 4.766M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 100 $24.23

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$24.26 1701 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 13/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.