Hi Rod,I should have, but was concentrating on the Federal scene...

1. 4,941 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 147
    Hi Rod,

I should have, but was concentrating on the Federal scene at the time. Otherwise, I would have included Steele Hall as one of the Senators (and the Premier who DD replaced) who led the debate on the Khemlani affair.

It wasn't only pink hot pants, and batting for the other side that DD was renowned for. There are those who say that Jim's Mowing could have done a roaring trade back in the 70s.

But, you also need to remember that DD's preference was The Parade - great if you're into the football team, but not so great if you're surrounded by all those who have come out!!!!

After I moved to the city in 1980, North Adelaide was my stomping ground (and Norwood, my team) until I moved to Melbourne.

As for Forrest's observation, I tend to agree - my vote is all tied up even though I still classify Gough as one of my political heroes (pity his team, however, his economic, macro and national security policies).

Back then, I lived in the seats of Grey (ALP: Laurie Wallis) and Adelaide (one time, Andrew Jones LIB wunderkind from '66-'69). When I moved to Melbourne, I lived in Peacock's old seat of Kooyong and (for the last 10 years) in Menzies.

I even had the privilege of being lectured by Gough on several occasions whilst studying Law at Adelaide Uni. I can distinguish the social agenda from the economic and security agendas. But what we need now is the security and economic agendas to be properly managed.

In his 4th term, Howard must also commit to managing the social agenda (in the past, always the primary basis for the existence of the States) which, to my way of thinking, must always be kept in mind. Does this mean that Labor (throughout the States) has actually failed to manage the social agenda???

Howard needs to be more family friendly ('ell, we all do), and more maternal in supporting working mothers. But, at the moment, Latham's choice on this is hardly going to make a dent. So, it still remains Howard's end (to coin a phrase). And the States - well they are almost undeserving of any support (credit, or otherwise).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.