Hi @zentrify Without knowing the stock, or the chart very well,...

1. 19,112 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3682

Hi @zentrify

Without knowing the stock, or the chart very well, or having studied it for very long.
    I think the chances are higher that price is attempting to accelerate away again, as opposed to being a climactic event.
    That is not to say it is 'not climactic' full stop !!, but at this point I think the chances are greater, that price is making an attempt to go higher (whether that attempt is successful or not , remains to be seen).
    A gap up like that, especially one that moves above the previous highs, is a move professionals use to encourage the 'greed emotion' of existing holders. They gap it up like that so that holders reconsider any thoughts they have of selling into a rise in price, as they are suddenly in good profit and become more optimistic of even higher prices.
    Also, if you look back on the daily chart, you can see the same move in the background of the chart in July 2016.....same people running the show maybe ??

So for me, it would depend on my risk profile, where my entry was, how many I actually held now, and what timeframe the trade was intended to be, but I would have a level, or levels where I would exit, but hang in there and see if price can actually complete the move higher.
    If I was selecting the levels, a 'clean and clear break and close' below 88.5cps would be the tightest level (if I was really concerned about maintaining current profits). Next one would be about 84cps (by eye off the daily chart), which is the previous high before the gap up. And finally, the 79 or 80cps level, which is either the previous low before the gap up, or the true range low of the gap up bar (whichever suits you best).
    If it broke and closed clearly below that (79cps) level, I wouldn't want to be in the trade anymore (as it would then look like breaking down).
    But you need to match those levels with your risk profile, and your entry, because you don't want to take on unnecessary risk, and always want to maintain your capital (so you can be there for the next trade), so that level is no good if your entry is higher than that.

hopefully that helps give you some ideas to think about,

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.