XJO 0.88% 7,959.3 s&p/asx 200

XJO - Bear Posts only (Factors which might cause the markets to fall), page-12327

1. 2,287 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 562
    Hello again my fellow bears. I've been busy at work since last checking in here, preparing my bear cave with a list of equities globally to hold up well in a crash. I found some interesting things, such as how defensive many Japanese companies are and how a number of them are relatively unexposed to everything else. They're so much more bearish than me it makes me bullish! I guess after what went on in Japan back in the day they learned what exactly what not to do, while here in the west we're repeating their mistake.

It got me thinking though, one risk that does remain present in the Japanese economy is the way it's tethered to USD. While not actually a big concern for these individual companies in my opinion due to their odd moats it got me thinking about parking cash on the sidelines and diversification in that area. Which lead me down a rabbit hole of research to find out many western countries would be just as F'ed currency wise even if the USD goes down. In fact, they will go down with it.

I'm admittedly not the biggest expert in currencies so perhaps someone here knows a bit about it and could comment, what would the safe currencies be in the event of the USD going down? I know we argue about if it's going down all the time and there's cases for both arguments to be made such as USA's superior demographics vs it's reckless spending...but let's hypothetically assume it does go down? Which currency/country in the western sphere is going to be affected less?

I was thinking AUD and CAD might actually end up somewhat spared as this could coincide with a spike in commodities but I'm not well versed enough in this topic and hence why I want to eliminate my bias and hear other opinions.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.