XJO 0.55% 7,629.0 s&p/asx 200

Our population is incredibly reliant on a global, just-in-time...

1. 93 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 29
    Our population is incredibly reliant on a global, just-in-time supply chain and complex infrastructure. In both cases, we are having less and less control over both in terms of maintenance, materials/parts supply and cost. My point is that a depression will hit the lifestyle of people harder than ever before, and we will not be able to build or manufacture our way out of it.

I'm not sure why you are so dismissive of my comments. I am speaking in a general sense of the population to compare a modern stagflation environment to what transpired in the 70s. Your counter points do not address my fundamental points of self-reliance, instead pointing to a 'ridiculous' (in the literary sense) example where only one single instance in the entire country renders my argument 'insane'.

1. I did not say the economy is bad because people are fat. I implied obese (68% of adults) and unhealthy will not handle extreme economic conditions well, either from reduced supply of medication/services or from the inability to afford them.
    2. Export does not equal manufacture. We export plenty of coal and gas, but where do our electricity prices sit? We cannot produce parts to maintain whatever factory facilities we have, or even to repair motor vehicles for that matter. What happens if a water supply valve craps itself and there's an 18 month lead time from Germany?
    3. You make it seem as if I said not one Australian has a vegetable garden. Do you really think there's a higher % of the population in 2022 than in 1972 that grows much of their own food and completes most of their home and mechanical repairs?
    4. Apple was found guilty of this. Do you believe that whitegood appliances are more robust in 2022 than 1972?
    5. Your energy solution in a depression would be for everyone to get solar panels and drive an EV? That's outright condescending. Not only are both capital intensive, but there is not enough panels and inverters available to outfit every house. Not to mention that solar produces energy at the wrong time, and is shut off when the grid goes down to protect linemens safety.
    6. Why would you think I'm talking about entertainment subscriptions? A whole generation is afraid to make a phone call to order a pizza and instead use an app. Many do not wish to leave their house to receive meals or grocery. That 'convenience' aspect is a sad indictment and underscores a lack of domestic skills. However, I am more worried about businesses that never "own" anything, they are just end licence users. Not just your photoshop software, or your autocad. Everything microsoft touches is not yours anymore, if your credit card declines, you lose all your vital software. Some people resort to flashing XP and use MYOB 2005... because it just works.
    7. What a twist of words to imply I call all non-white australians selfish. Are you a politician? Stop being naive. People are tribal and self-segregate. There's a reason that Amazon promotes a multi-cultural workforce... it strongly reduces the chances of unionisation.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.