OAK 1.45% 7.0¢ oakridge international limited

XPE Charts, page-6509

1. 3,437 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    The biggest problem we often seem to face on HC is the clash between FA and TA, and then various trading strategies. At the end of the day no one is righter than the next provided you are making money. Look at XPE over the last few months, a long term "fundamental" hold would have seen quite significant profits made, but even more could be had by playing the technical indicators, over various different time frames. You could play weekly, daily on intraday swings and if you get it right, make a fortune. No one doing this is better than the next, even those making "more" money are no better than anyone else as people will have different risk profiles which may restrict how they trade.

For me I still haven't quite worked out what sort of trader I am but XPE was always going to be a MT/LT hold for me. Now despite being (hopefully) clever enough to have picked some fairly obvious technical moves prior to them happening I've really only traded one of them. It does bite a little knowing I could either have free carried my current position or doubled down but hindsight is a wonderful thing and playing the smaller swings didn't fit in with my strategy.

The point is this though; With the exception of the few names we all know and "love" predicting 2cents again most of the chartists here have been right most of the time. Did I want XPE to retrace from 11 to 6? Nope, of course not but it didn't actually have any effect on my strategy for XPE other than as I mentioned before, I missed a chance to do better. There's absolutely no point in attacking someone offering a different point of view, because if it doesn't come true, then you've already won. If it does, then you need to look at why it happened and why you disagreed with those prediction in the first place, and if it actually mattered within your own strategy.

There's a very incorrect belief out there that "news" (ie fundamentals) doesn't have relevance to technical indicators. If you aren't a chartist I'd strongly recommend picking up some of the suggested texts and having a read, even if you never intend to be a charty..... If nothing else it's a good opportunity to see things from another perspective but you'll very quickly start to see how FA and TA can be far more intertwined than you may think.

Currently I'm a looking away a little from the charts with XPE, I've just converted the options and happy to ride any moves for further news, because for me the fundamentals are so compelling right now and I'd kick myself If I was out at the wrong time but does that mean there's not going to be movement in both directions and money to be made?
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OAK (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
7.0¢
Change
0.001(1.45%)
Mkt cap ! $1.889M
Open High Low Value Volume
7.0¢ 7.0¢ 7.0¢ $0 5

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 38 7.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
8.5¢ 182500 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.06am 19/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
OAK (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.