YAL 1.04% $6.81 yancoal australia limited

WHC and YAL are my too largest holdings. For the past 6 months,...

1. 124 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 125
    WHC and YAL are my too largest holdings. For the past 6 months, i have held more WHC.
    As of today, i will start moving funds from WHC to YAL. My reasoning is fairly simple:
    * WHC ~ 10% more expensive (enterprise value inc. estimated cash on hand) after recent run up. Previously YAL was always more expensive.
    * Current cash generation is fairly similar between the two - WHC higher prices / quality is offset by YAL having ~ double the volume
    * Therefore, upside is similar if coal prices hold
    * YAL has much better downside protection if prices fall. This is simply because YAL have a huge volume advantage and are able to generate much more cash if coal prices fall to anywhere around $100-200. This is best demonstrated by the fact that YAL had an enterprise value of circa $5 billion a couple of years ago (at cyclical lows) vs WHC at less than $2 billion.

One key disadvantage with YAL vs WHC that hasn't been mentioned on this thread: management keep saying they are considering acquisitions to diversify away from coal. This would be my nightmare scenario....please don't do it!!!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add YAL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.81
Change
0.070(1.04%)
Mkt cap ! $8.992B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.74 $6.87 $6.71 $10.50M 1.544M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 6043 $6.78

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.82 30193 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 26/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
YAL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.