thunder54 - she isn't ugly and her fancy scarf-turban plus...

1. 18,184 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 169
    thunder54 - she isn't ugly and her fancy scarf-turban plus outsize earrings would have the admiration of all fashionistas, her style is a universe away from the Muslim idea of modesty for their womenfolk. She distracts by the fancy gear around her head, so one doesn't take a lot of notice of what she says. I have found her annoying because of this distraction thing - and have realised she is a 'token' spokesperson like so many - not to be taken seriously.
    I have a friend who is well-integrated, but has Middle- and Northern European background, has lived in the Middle East and he is 'full of it' - all sorts of knowledge, which can be useful - he, too, yearly criticises ANZAC Day - I just listen and silently disagree, even though I am from the former enemy nation which caused the whole bloodshed, but feel it isn't tactful to criticize Australians for being taken for granted to give their lives for England and it turned into a national blood sacrifice and trauma, which transmogrified into a Day of Nationhood.
    What upsets me every year though, is the run-up to ANZAC Day in the media - there is not a single channel which does not have an evening of war movies, anti-Nazi films (yes I watched the Hitler one again - it is a compelling film) but this year it went on beyond ANZAC - Day and started long before and I was beginning to wonder whether the 'powers-that-be' are not preparing us for another war.
    I was concerned. I am concerned that the easy-going nature of Australians is slowly changing under the influence of a war-mongering U.S.A. and the resultant flow of refugees/migrants into something more militaristic.
    It isn't a bad thing to be part of the 'chattering classes' - in fact I am proud to be part of them myself - it helps to get to the bottom of things and there will be airheads 'chattering' but also some serious subjects delved into. Isn't this what we all do here on Hotcopper?
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.