SFH 1.24% $1.22 specialty fashion group limited

year end tidy up, page-8

1. jhu
    504 Posts.
    The door has opened. Let's run some numbers based on the 30 June 2010 accounts. Assuming that SFH was a pure online retailer it would only be necessary to have a distribution facility(say $20m). Approx annual depreciation saving $14m.

Next invest the cash released from the carrying value PP&E of bricks and mortar stores (assume a discount of 50% on carrying value) that provides cash of approx $30m. At a bank interest rate of 5% that equates to $1.5m in interest income per annum.

No longer need staff at the stores as it will only be necessary to have warehouse staff (which they already have). Let's assume staff of 3 FTE per store on $20k per annum (with 837 stores). Annual saving $50.2m (noting that it must be more than this considering total employee benefits expense in the group is $132m).

No longer need to pay rent for the stores, again because we only have a distribution warehouse. Annual saving $97.4m.

Assume that we can cut the inventory in the stores by 2/3 of the current levels. That is, rather than carrying three of each line/size at the store, you reduce your inventory, and invest that cash in a bank account. That is (2/3 x 46m x 5%) equates to 1.5m per annum.

So far I come to annual savings of $164.6m. On the basis of $572.228m in sales this equates to 29% in annual savings to use to pay for delivery costs. This is without considering efficiencies in receivables/settlement of accounts before the goods are shipped.

Using your average item sales price of $15, this equates to a delivery charge of $4.50 per item. I agree that this is not comparable to your $7-$13 distribution cost, but remember I have already factored in that SFH retains its distribution facilities. So this $4.50 is only going to pay for postage/courier, which is very easily achievable.

The issue is that as you would see from the accounts that margin on sales is approx 132% to cover overheads. Now Manufactures want a piece of that profit by selling direct to the public. So when you consider that a manufacturer only has to establish a distribution center they can claw that margin back and that difference can be used to pay for delivery. So on an article that retails for $15 in SFH costs $6.50 from a manufacturer. SFH only can afford $4.50 on delivery costs to have a net nil impact on operations. But the manufacturer has the ability to incur $13 of delivery costs and then SFH will have to cut prices to compete.

Simply, the reason why you are paying the $13 that you indicated is not because it costs that much to actually deliver it, but instead a customer is willing to pay it because they still pay less online than in the shops.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SFH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.