AUD unknown

yey - how easy is this?, page-28

1. 8,720 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 81
    Hi Optimus

I have found the main factors that determine where you set your stops and your limits (for the wins) are:

1. the volatility of the instrument you're trading
    2. where the support and resistance levels are in relation to your chosen entry level - I normally set my stops just under a
    3. your trading timeframe

If you're not trading close to a support level, for example when scalping, and you want to set a stop at a certain distance from your entry level then in relation to FX trading I'm a complete newbie so I couldnt advise how tight or loose to set stops on FX trades - hopefully others here will offer some suggestions. I gather FX can be rather volatile so I suspect I will find they will be looser rather than tighter. For this kind of trading, once you trade a particular instrument for a while (whether stock, index, FX or commodity) you will find what works for you by experience - set stops too tight & you'll get stopped out too often and get rather annoyed, but set stops too loose and you will lose more than you prefer to risk - its a balance.

As far as setting limits for your exits - again that depends on where you believe it will get to, and I always do a risk/return ratio calculation to make sure my target vs stop distances are at least 3:1, otherwise I wont trade. If I'm staying tuned and it gets to my target I'm always happy to let it run if its on a run, but cut and run if it falls back to the targeted limit level.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Sharks.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AUD (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.