yidsrus, is this defensible?, page-4

1. 6,931 Posts.
    eeeerrrrr, yidsi, the US had the bomb first. One could argue the USSR had to develop it, strategically, to counter the threat from a hostile nation, the USA, and the rest of the West who also had it (Britain & France). The above point places no value judgement on the Russian government. You seem to be arguing as though Russia was the originator. I know you know that is not so, it is just the position from which you seem to be arguing.
    There is no question, in my mind, that the communist Governments were evil in intent and would have run over everything if not resisted. I did believe in the domino theory. Vietnam failed because the Yanks did not know how to fight a guerilla war, and I suspect they still do not know.

One of the best things to come out of those years was the negotiated stand off over nuclear weapons that restricted their development. Now the US
    government wants to turn up the heat so those that feel threatened by the US, and some do, may want to develop nuclear weapons.

With regard to the US I think we should be thankful that it is triumphant after the cold war yrs and I think Australia must align itself with the US. However, the fundamental problem with the US system is that American government is not democratically elected. There is an elected President but his government is appointed, by him, so their loyalty is to him and not to the people of America. In a Parliamentary democracy with all members of the government elected they can be booted out at any time. Their loyalty is to the people. I see this as a fundamental flaw that has become glaringly obvious at present.

Regards

Desmond

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.