re: snuff:yidsrus, is this defensible? Hi yidsi. I agree with...

1. 6,931 Posts.
    re: snuff:yidsrus, is this defensible? Hi yidsi. I agree with you 100% about US intentions being honorable after WW2.
    You said:-
    "He (President) appoints his Cabinet posts but there are many checks and balances in the US system."

In my understanding of government it is the cabinet who proposes and the parliament or congress that approves. In the Aus/Brit system members of the cabinet are elected into parliament. I am not sure about those checks and balances, perhaps from a lack of understanding.

"I also think it is a tad unfair to describe him as someone who wasnt democratically elected."
    I did not think I raised this point in the post but since you mention it I do believe not Presidents are democratically elected. It is all a great show to elect a College and the elected members can change their vote from that upon which they were elected. That does not apply to all states, only some. It has happened, in the last century, I believe. Nitpicking, I know but you never know when this could become important and crucial, it is a weak point that can be exploited by the unscrupulous under the right circumstances.

"Finally, I would be interested in your comment on the Oz/Westminster sytem where the Govt can call early elections!

On thing I think is great about the US system is that they go to the people on the set date - 4 years later - whether they are doing good or bad.

In OZ - do you remeber in the 70's and 80's seemed we had an election every 18 months or so??

I cant see how this is a device that serves the people? It seems to only really serve the ruling govt as they can manipultae the date to suit themselves."

What ever system you have Pollies can manipulate things to suit, even if it is a fixed term system. I somehow think it is better to keep every one guessing when an election will be. It keeps you on your toes and one does not slip into complacency. I think it has served Aus and Britain well and I do not think that the fixed terms in the US have helped the US to better government. I remember the 70's & 80s vividly and I got madder and madder at Malcolm Fraser as I watched him do it. From the time he got in he was always looking over his shoulder for the next election which led to poor government. He has not changed.

Regards

Desmond

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.