QBE 0.87% $17.39 qbe insurance group limited

Hmmm.I first invested May 2008.Holding HRR, MQG, ANZ since...

1. 434 Posts.
    Hmmm.

I first invested May 2008.
    Holding HRR, MQG, ANZ since then.
    Held CNP for over a year, now thats gone.
    Sold STO for a profit after 3 months
    Sold BEPPA for a profit after 3 months
    Holding MAK for around 12 months
    Hold 3 different convertible preference shares, and intend to hold until conversion (the last, FXJPB, seemingly April 2011)
    I'm interested in an ASX20, QBE... and AAM.... and perhaps ERJOptions.

Unless I've forgotten one or two stocks, that's my entire life-holdings....

Doesn't seem like particularly risky stocks?

As to research level, I do Commerce (CorpFin+Accounting) and Law at Uni, third year. I have some idea what I'm talking about.

I know HRR very well, I don't want to remember the hours i spent on BEPPA. I've spent a fair bit of time on ANZ, admittedly, not tooooooo much time specifically on MQG... But, enough. I think MQG is a bargain at $49.x, and a large reason it isn't breaking $50 is physcological.... and because the dividends may not be fully franked. I think I care less about dividends not being fully franked than most people.. but, then again, I'm a student not paying much income tax.

MAK was maybe a bit of an immature buy, but, I can see that now. That was alrgely based on the chart. In at $2.20 or so. I did participate in the SPP, but, got stop-lossed on my original holding. Sigh.

STO was just plain too cheap when I bought it, and got out with a nice 30% profit or so.

QBE and AAM I haven't quite researched enough... but, that's why I haven't invested in either:)

CNP released good news, shot up 10%, then on the same day, in the afternoon released terrible news and it free fell 20%, and I didn't get a chance to check it till I was 25% down the next day. Shame. Lost about $500 in the end I think.

And, I know about preference shares enough, hell, next week I'm writing an article on them.

I didn't do tooo much research into FXJPB, I admit. But, I did read the financial report, and considered if I believe that they will make a yearly profit between now and 2011. I decided that they would, and whilst I didn't do enough to hold FXJ, I had done enough to hold FXJPB, IMHO.I have made a profit on FXJPB.

I was skeptical of MXUPA (they did trade down to a 83% discount during the GFC!)... but, then I looked into it, realised that their backed, BAM, wasn't going anywhere soon... that Multiplex would almost certainly be able to repay these... and that they had been priced as riskier than I found them to be. On HC, I would estimate, around 60% expect these to convert APril 2010; I don't, but, obviously there is a fair chance. I was happy to buy them at $68.99, and they are currently $74. Made a profit on MXUPA, so far.

And, finally, i did research a fair bit about GNS. Borderline enough/not enough to invest... but, I don't think I would have invested. However, GNSPA paying 5% above BBSW coupon... with the amount of net assets that GNS have.... I was happy (though, I do obviously realize heavy asset writedowns have the SMALL POTENTIAL to wipe that and screw me over). I expect conversion Oct2010.

I can't believe I just justified to you that I'm investing, not gambling... but, it was a good checkup for me personally. I'm happy, I've learnt alot since May 2008...particularly to set stop-losses.

*Oh, and I sold out 70 MQG at $55ish just before they slid to $49, which was used to fund MXUPA.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add QBE (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$17.39
Change
0.150(0.87%)
Mkt cap ! $26.12B
Open High Low Value Volume
$17.36 $17.65 $17.25 $68.31M 3.923M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 21665 $17.38

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$17.39 159691 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
QBE (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.