XJO 0.04% 8,023.9 s&p/asx 200

yotta's chaotic, disordered, confused thursday, page-202

1. 3,195 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 33
    Its a mental battle if you're a market watcher as opposed to a set and forget style.

How many sold on the lows recently? A few years ago I would have and they waited for a pullback that didn't come and bought at the top, before it headed down again. I bought some at the lows and have sold since. For me, I am more comfortable just playing the daily ranges atm and not going to bed stressing about a 5% drop overseas. The are some great daily ranges on some top 200 stocks. Obviously holding overnight gives greater gains if the markets are up overnight, BUT, I am trading as though we are in a BEAR market (I might be way off, dunno). The sort of volatility we've just witnessed doesn't really happen when fundamentals are sound and markets are in a bullish uptrend. This is the whole psyche for me in the markets. A couple of days of green after licking our wounds and everything is back to normal! (Normal is a cycle on a washing machine btw). If they can go up this quick, that only tells me the downs are harder and quicker (if they come). I was introduced to the markets just after the tech bubble and had the best run you could imagine...knew nadda. Know a little more know. I used just have a real "laissez-faire" style pre GFC. "ah, just thrown x on ABC, she'll be right". Works great in a bull market. I dont think this is a bull market, which means its the opposite I guess (for now). Now I am more protective of my cash (GFC scarring) and believe anything is possible on the markets and i have to be ready to go in whatever direction the markets want to.

Whats my point? Dunno. Trade carefully over the coming months. One swallow doesn't make a summer. Still think there are some bears in the woods that probably wont come out until most are bullish again. Just my 2 cents.

I'm a bit peeved at myself for preempting some trades and for not trusting my macro judgement on the markets (and that's a battle as well). I was short early april (BHP $48, WPL $49) and not smallish units. Took some loses as i got spooked with all the bullishness! lol. Went short NAB at $25 and closed early. Patience grasshopper, patience!

Live and learn, but having the nerve to hold can be hard.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.