WEB 0.67% $7.53 webjet limited

Budget was an absolute disaster for travel stocks. Yep and the...

1. 2,746 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 486
    Budget was an absolute disaster for travel stocks. Yep and the borders are indicatively not opening till mid year 2022, despite the Australian public being vaccinated by year end 2021.

The government is buying time, in case their Novavax doses, 51 Million fail to arrive - which is looking more likely. Novavax shares have been dumped in the past 2 days, citing data delay - market thinks that it may not have the full set of data, or they have found something which is not FDA approval ready.

Either way, travel stocks have been dumped this morning, which is expected. WEB doing better then QAN, FLT & SYD

Government Travel package -- pretty much nothing
    The Government says they are supporting the travel industry in the tune of $1.2 billion - with the half price tickets & I understand some sort of payments to QAN & Virgin to keep the jobs till September/October this year. After that Allan Joyce is free to fire staff - which in my opinion he will do.

The case for firing:The travel industry has a case, you don't open the borders, and you want us to keep employing people - doesn't work

On the bright side - If, and a big IF, the states keep their borders open, then you will have confidence in increase in domestic travel from today's levels

Even Corporate travel, in my opinion will return. Imagine this one company does Zoom calls, and the other flies to the client. the guy who flies to the client wins the deal for dining with the client and developing relationships - so what do you think the company with the zoom calls will do -

And then you get into the election year - Government doesn't want to see jobless claims go higher, so they will throw something for the aviation/travel sector. They could have done it this budget, but I think there is a lot of politics being played - You throw money towards tourism sector in QLD, and labour takes credit - which is not what the federal government wants

Either way, if you are short, enjoy it. If you are long - have patience, if you are on the sidelines be amused with spectacular falls

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WEB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.53
Change
0.050(0.67%)
Mkt cap ! $2.945B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.52 $7.64 $7.49 $12.92M 1.711M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 926 $7.50

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.54 15493 6
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 13/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WEB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.