You can’t make this stuff up, page-6

1. 1,247 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23
    35% efficiency would be state of the art for a coal power station these days. Most of the Australian coal power stations are ageing and many are probably running on coal inferior to that for which they were designed. WA has pretty well run out of coal anyway, and power stations here wouldn't get within a bulls roar of 30% efficiency; by the time the power gets to my house it's probably no better than the solar panels on my roof. The problem with them and all renewables is the availability; whilst your well-maintained coal, gas or nuclear power station may manage 90%, your solar farm or wind turbine may struggle to get over 30%, so the added monetary or environmental cost of batteries or pumped hydro ends up making them less attractive.

I'm in the process of upgrading my rooftop PV with battery storage, and starting to look around for a small EV; mostly because it's starting to make financial sense, but also because I hate being ripped off by my State power utility and a bunch of murdering Saudis. I believe Global Warming is getting beyond deniability, so if it helps the planet in any small way that is a bonus.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.